Re: Reflections on a racing incident / flags

To: Vintage Race List <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Reflections on a racing incident / flags
From: Tony Drews <tmccis@revealed.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:25:26 -0500
The only flag that I've seen multiple interpretations in vintage racing has been
the red flag.  At some vintage events, as stated in the drivers meeting, the red
flag means roughly the same as the black flag all - proceed cautiously (more
cautiously than the black?) to the pits.  At other events, as stated at the
drivers meeting, the red flag has the "normal" meaning - pull to the side of the
racing surface and stop in a safe, controlled manner.

At the last couple of events, I've seen folks docked in timing and scoring for
passing under the yellow (and jumping the start).  These are the only times I've
seen any obvious action taken for passing under the yellow.  I once ran a car
off the road who was attempting to pass me under a waving yellow in the rain -
and did so to avoid a good friend of mine who was sitting on the track
backwards.  I think the yellow flag procedures / regulations need to be stressed
a bit more in vintage racing at times.  I believe SCCA is quite strict about
this, and can end your racing weekend if you appear to ignore the yellows.

That being said, there is a certain element of risk and uncertainty in our
sport.  I think that element of risk is one of the things that makes it
attractive to me.  So, I recognize this, but am never happy when stuff like this
happens.

- Tony Drews