Re: Passing problems

To: tmatycho@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Passing problems
From: FHammett@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:21:43 EDT
In a message dated 09/02/1999 11:16:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tmatycho@ix.netcom.com writes:

>  know of one vintage organization which, in its efforts to cut down on
>  incidents, has begun to stress the responsibility of the overtaken
>  driver to not shut the door on cars attempting to pass, which means in
>  essence, the overtaken driver is expected to off line in order to
>  accommodate a car which has yet to overlap before the turn in point.  I
>  see nothing but mischief coming from this rule,

I second Tom Ms remarks, and add a few.

A good driver, driving a challenging race at the front, after the braking
zone will need to be focused on the corner exit, not behind him or in his
mirrors.  The time to look in your mirrors is before the braking point. If
you see a faster car approaching, you can be careful not to turn off your SA
(situational awareness).  If a car is able to make the pass you will see him
during the braking zone in your peripheral vision and at the point of turnin,
not in your mirrors.

I find most problems come from these scenarios.

1. A much faster and more powerful car commits to a pass before the braking
zone while still behind the slower car.  Since he drives a much faster car
and has gained on that car during the previous straight. He feels he can beat
the slower car to the corner.  The problem I have seen sometimes, is the
faster car may not have a faster driver.  The slower car with a faster driver
beats him to the corner.  I drive a Club Ford in SCCA national and regional
races.  Many times I have had Formula Continentals, S2000s, and Formula
Mazdas gain on me in the straight and try to dive into the corners.  The
problem comes when they almost get to the corner before me but end up shy by
one car length.  I never get to see them in my Peripheral Vision, they don't
get that close. But I feel their front rubber hitting my rear rubber., right
before we both go off track.

 2. The newer or occasional drivers who do not have much car control and very
little situational awareness  This is seen many times when one laps a car
that should be as fast or faster then theirs.  I am afraid some of these
folks only see the nose directly in front of their face, much as a horse with
blinders.  I was probably in that situation once myself, it just takes a lot
of seat time to gain the necessary SA.

There is no totally safe way to pass this individual, but one should realize
their inexperience may demand a quick response, and drive defensively. If the
slower car has or is about to turnin, it is possible and perhaps safer to
pass on the outside, offline.  That way the slower car is turning away from
you , to the inside.  Buy driving offline you will take the car somewhat
slower, but will not have to wait for the slower car to reach the next
straight. Of course the pass must be completed at or before the apex or run
the risk of contact at corner exit.  And of course, one can try to pass in
the corner, as described above (#1).  But you had better not only be faster
in the straight but also in the corner.  Its those ties at the apex that
cause trouble.

The situation that has been described earlier, where two cars of equal speed
are contesting the corner the rules should apply as stated in previous post.
But in close calls, two cars can (and will) argue who has the line. If I am
ahead, and being challenged for a corner by a car behind me, and I feel the
corner is mine, but the passing car is going to get his nose in and try to
take it, I will give him about one car width and 6 inches.  That way I have
not put myself at a big disadvantage and have still allowed the car making a
challenge a way through the corner without touching wheels. I would much
prefer to argue the point at impound, rather than at the tire wall in the
corner, after contact.

And finally, lets admit it.  Racing is risky , and passing is the most risky
part of it. Mistakes will happen. We all have made them.  The trick is to
make as few as possible, learn from those you make, and be aware of other
peoples mistakes so you can make a good save for both parties. Sometimes the
difference between a serious accident and a minor spin, is where the
construction workers placed the tire wall and has nothing to do with the
drivers ability.

Frank Hammette
www.rupturedduck.com