Re: Do I need an Accusump

To: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Do I need an Accusump
From: Clark Smith <clark@dnf.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 22:14:34 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Rod,

I, too, am considering an Accusump for my 356 based race car (to be).  As I
understand it, you turn off the accusump (the valve has to be accessable to
the driver) when the engine and accusump have no pressure.  Once the engine
has been started and developed presure, you open up the valve and let the
oil pressure push back the spring loaded piston in the accusump.  It then
ebs and flows with demand, maintaining pressure under hard cornering.  When
you pull into the pits, with the engine still running, you turn off the
valve.

Its my understanding that you not restart the engine (after a spin, for
instance) with the valve open because the engine pressure doesn't come up
as quickly because you are pressurizing the piston.  So you have to stay
aware of that valve.

In an oil cooled engine, the larger sizes are apparently desireable to aid
in cooling (if for no less than you are circulating more oil).  Some guys
claim that you don't even need an external oil cooler it you run an
accusump.

I saw a Moroso brand unit, $60 at a swap meet, off a drag race car and was
temped to buy it.  Does anyone know if there are any differences between
the Moroso product and the Accusump.  They look an awful lot alike....

Pleas let me know what you learn.

Clark

>Hello list,
>
>I'm sure this thread/question has come up in the past, but somehow I'm sure I
>missed it.
>
>I'm building a new 5 main full race motor for my '64 MGB and I'm wondering if
>I should install an Accusump.  I know that it is suspost to provide oil
>pressure for start up and when the oil pump pick-up is uncovered during hard
>cornering or braking.  I've read that the chamber is a smooth cylinder on the
>inside and that there is a piston that seals the cylinder and provides the
>pressure.  But:
>
>1. How does it work?
>2. Is the engine supplying engine oil pressure in the cylinder when it is
>running for future start ups?
>3. What size accusump do I need.  I will be running an 8 quart pan on my
>1800cc 5 main "B".
>4. Should I buy a manual and mount it in the passenger side floor?/or buy the
>electric model and mount it in the engine bay, perhaps where the heater was
>on the firewall.
>
>I hope some of you can help me out with these questions.
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>
>Rod Schweiger
>"64 MGB Sebring Replica

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.
Images and description at
http://www.dnf.com

My 1953 Devin-Porsche Restoration project
http://www.dnf.com/devin-porsche.html