Re: Fuel Cell Help

To: n <twobees@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Cell Help
From: David Laver <dlaver@ms.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:15:49 +0000
> Also, where is a safe & logical place to mount a safety switch?  I'm
> thinking that one answer may be to mount it on the trunk lid, and change to
> another trunk lid for the street.  Imagine the fun I would have stopped at a
> traffic light in beautiful downtown Bridgeport, Connecticut with a safety
> switch easily accessable to passersbys.

Norm,

    I also have a road and race car.  At the moment I've still got a standard
fuel tank but I'm very pleased with the solution for the electrical cutout and
fire extinguisher.  These are both electrically triggered.

    The electrical cut-out is a box of tricks in the earth strap with light
wires to the cut-out buttons.  I have one cut-out button in each rear window and
a control panel with another cut-out button under the dash.  Should a passer by
hit the cut-out button I just hit the reset on the dash panel and I'm back in
business.  Its also another level of security by obscurity.

    The fire extinguisher also has a control box under the dash.  I only arm the
system for competition.  If the worse happen on the road its almost as easy to
arm and trigger as to trigger.  The bottle is in the boot behind a cover with
just an inspection window - fitted in a well behind an inner arch.

    FIA Appendix K permits buttons to be in the rear side windows.  I made these
in perspex.  Putting the glass back and tucking the buttons behind a trim pannel
you wouldn't ever know the mods had been done.

David