Re: Helmets & Suits

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Helmets & Suits
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:17:23 -0400
At 01:16 PM 15/09/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Here's my 2 cents on the subject.

Here's mine, also:  Anyone who feels that an open faced helmet gives
adequate protection in any car, open or closed, either: A - has never
witnessed the stretch of typical belts and the flexability of a typical body
such that you can easily move forward far enough to "eat your steering
wheel" in otherwise moderate forward impacts.  Or B - feels that you
shouldn't protect against predictable risks.

A friend racing a Mini at Mosport about five years ago impacted the outside
bank at 5A fairly hard and straight.  He lost several teeth even though he
was wearing a full face helmet.  Granted, the seat belt installation, though
it met the rules, was marginal, but in this case the steering wheel won!

Brian