Re: Helmets & Suits

To: Jim Hill <jrhill1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Helmets & Suits
From: Jeff Snook <jsnook_gmi@wcnet.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 14:48:40 -0700
Jim Hill wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out my options - would appreciate any advice
> about whether the following would be legal for 1998 in any of the
> vintage racing organizations for the driver of an open production
> car. I've been wading through regulations and don't find a
> prohibition of either, but it never hurts to ask:
>
> 1) Open face helmets - assuming Snell SA95 sticker, goggles and
> appropriate head sock/balaclava.
>
> 2) Single layer driving suits - of appropriate SFI rating and worn
> with Nomex underwear.
>
> Jim Hill
> Madison WI

Jim,

I would strongly recommend _against_ an open helmet with goggles.  I
know it looks more vintage, but as the survivor of two roll overs in a
Triumph TR3A, I can attest to the fact the face shield serves a purpose
other than keeping the breeze and bugs out of your eyes.  These shields
are expensive to replace, but based on the scratches that showed up on
mine after the last roll over, they are worth every penny.

The suit question becomes one of personnal preference, however every
orgainization that I race with specifies three layers.  So, if I get you
right, you want to wear two layers of underwear and then a single layer
suit!  I don't know about you, but at my age it's getting increasingly
difficult to peel off just one sweaty item after I come in from a
session.  So, I just found a great, light-weight, three layer suit from
Truechoice in Columbus, Ohio.  I previously used a Simpson three layer
and it was like wearing a "blanket," so I was looking for something more
comfortable and found it with the "Flamecrusher" suit from Truechoice.

Good luck, hope to see you at a track real soon!

Jeff