Re: Formula Junior discussion

To: EHSMITH@us.oracle.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Formula Junior discussion
From: PaceCars@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 23:44:35 -0400 (EDT)
I would guess there are several reasons that F-Jr is less popular than FF.
For starters, there are a lot more FF's around than F-Jr. They are easier to
tune and, due to their low state of tune, more reliable and easier to drive.
An F-Jr is closely related to a 1.5 liter F-1 car. It is highly strung,
temperamental, and must be kept in a narrow power band to go fast. It rewards
a good driver in a way that FFs seldom do. On the other hand, the cost of a
good Richardson F-Jr head (from what I have been told) is higher than a pair
of used FF engines. For F-Jr to survive and prosper, I would suggest that
they be allowed to use the same size tires as FFs, which lets the faster
F-Jrs run with the best FFs. They also need more events where a large group
can get together.
Harold Pace