Fwd: Lotus 6 configurations

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fwd: Lotus 6 configurations
From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:25:52 -0400 (EDT)
---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Re: Lotus 6 configurations
Date:    97-09-11 10:06:46 EDT
From:    DWhitesdJr
To:      S800Racer
CC:      vintage-race@aurox.team.net

The Lotus VI was sold as a kit, with the purchaser supplying the engine.  The
three most common configurations were the 1172cc side-valve Ford, the 1500cc
Ford Consul and the MG XPAG derivatives.  Some had Coventry-Climax engines
and one had a two liter Bristol six cylinder.  The most exotic was a West
Coast car with an Offy.  That car is being run in California today, albeit
with a different powerplant (Ford Consul).
My guess is that the Six at the Glen was 1172 cc a Ford side valve, much like
the Six I have used in SVRA's Group One.  The side valve produces 37
horsepower, leaving Peter Krause to remark that it was the only car his 850
Fiat could pass on the straight.  Nevertheless, it is relatatively
competitive because it handles so well.

Under SVRA classification rules, if the car has a engine with more than
1300ccs, it becomes a Group Four car.  I don't know whether the car, if it
indeed had a 1500cc engine, "slipped through the cracks", or whether there
was a deliberate decision to move the car.  Of the latter is true the the
Group One guys need to investigate the matter.

Now I am sorry I did not take some time to look at the car while I was at the
Glen. The Lotus VI was the first production Lotus, and caused controversy
when new.  It looks like it may be doing the same almost 50 years later!