Exploding Fram filter

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Exploding Fram filter
From: Rich Lambert <red912@acmenet.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 16:01:05 -0800
Is this an isolated incident or has anyone else had problems with Fram filters?
The other
day I was adjusting the carbs on my 912 when the metal body and internals of
the oil
filter blew off the base part the screws into the screw-on adapter (my motor
has a full
flow filter/external oil cooler plumbed in). This resulted in about 3 quarts of
oil
shooting out all over the engine compartment before I could grasp just what the
hell was
happening and shut off the motor. What a mess...thank God the car was in the
garage and
not out on the track.

I have previously run a Fram HP-1 filter with no problems, but decided because
the size
of the HP-1 made it difficult to get to my #2 spark plug, to run a smaller
filter
(PH-43). The HP-1 box said the PH-43 was an optional filter for that
application. Does
anybody know if the HP-1 is constructed differently so as not to blow apart
under
pressure?

Rich Lambert
'68 912 #912