Watkins Glen- Group one's revenge...

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Watkins Glen- Group one's revenge...
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 10:18:07 -0500
The weather for the Watkins Glen vintage weekend continued to be the best in
years, right up through the Group 1 (small bore) race at 9:30 Sunday morning.
I managed to solve my engine glitches, and the Sprite ran well for the race.
Had a great dice with a Lancia Fulvia- he passed me about 3 or 4 times, but I
passed him one more than that, and set a personal best time in the process.

Shortly after our race, the traditional Watkins rains appeared- on an off for
the rest of the day. It wasn't cold tho! The Can Am group had about the worst
downpour, and only made 1 parade lap- about the same thing that happened last
time they came.

My favourite car of the weekend- "The Ardent Alligator", based on a 1929 Riley
Brooklands, with a V8, which won the 1948 Watkins Glen Grand Prix. It was
mostly on display, but it's owner does still race it. Expect to see more
historic cars like this next year for the Glen's 50th anniversary celebration.

The word was that HSR has confirmed a July date for a Watkins event next year-
does anyone have details?

 Roger Garnett  (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
                  "The Wayward Sports Car Centre"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."