Re: Calif sb42

To: 914@porschefans.com, elmo@inreach.com
Subject: Re: Calif sb42
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:59:59 -0700
It's in the house appropriations committee. It failed there, got put on
the suspense file (I can neither confirm nor deny that interpretation
of suspense - does anyone know for sure?) until the end of August.

The primary objection to it now is the loss of revenue to the state
(and, to a lesser extent, the smog shops) because of the reduced number
of smog checks that will be done! Not surprisingly, the numbers don't
quite add up if you take the projected number of smog checks that will
be eliminated and multiply by the $8 or $10 that the state gets
(depending on who you believe).

The secondary objection is from the CARB, who says that the net result
will be a fair bit more pollution, from not failing cars. It is worried
that the bill will pass the Assembly but the Governor will veto it.

Please, please, call the transportation committee at
916-322-4323 and tell them that you're in favor of the bill.  Last time
I called, they weren't taking names or addresses, so call early and
often!

Then we'll have to start writing letters to the Governor.