Re: Calif sb42

To: Larry Moeller <elmo@inreach.com>
Subject: Re: Calif sb42
From: Sandi4JH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:22:35 -0400 (EDT)
NO WAY! It needs our support more than ever. It was suspended by the full
appropriations committee where they didn't get enuf votes to pass it. 8 to 8.
It's suspended till late Aug. They don't want to give up the smog fees!
Below is a message from Kopp and another update. Please write/call many times
to support SB42 or we won't get it.
Sandi

To:     jensen-cars@british-steel.org (Jensen Cars)

 Item Subject: RE: REQUEST SUPPORT FOR SB 42

         FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                   Contact:        Kevin
         Nguyen
         July 17, 1997                                             (415)
         301-1721

              COMMITTEE PULLS AUTO EXEMPTION BILL OVER TO SHOULDER,
                          KOPP CALLS FOR ROAD ASSISTANCE

                 Despite 12,000 letters, Internet messages and petitions
         of support, Senate Bill 42, by Senator Quentin L. Kopp
         (Independent - San Francisco/San Mateo), failed passage late
         yesterday in the State Assembly Appropriations Committee.  SB 42
         would exempt vehicles 25 or more model years old from
         California's biennial smog check requirement.

                 Kopp's measure passed by a 33-0 vote in the Senate and a
         17-0 vote in the Assembly Transportation Committee.  In Assembly
         Appropriations, however, a motion to pass SB 42 to the full
         Assembly fell three votes short and was rejected, 8-8.  SB 42
         was subsequently placed on the committee's Suspense File, which
         allows Kopp to pursue another vote as soon as late-August.

                 "I'm disappointed but undeterred by the vote," said
         Kopp.  "As proponents and supporters of SB 42, we must now focus
         our attention and redouble our efforts to impress upon the
         Assembly Appropriations Committee members the urgency and
         necessity of this legislation."  (The Assembly Appropriations
         Committee can be reached at 916-322-4323, or State Capitol, Room
         2114, Sacramento, CA  95814.)

                 The number of affected vehicles is small; the Air
         Resources Board estimates that the bill would exempt
         approximately 400,000 vehicles (or slightly more than 1%) of the
         23,000,000 registered passenger automobiles in California.  The
         bill would affect only those vehicles manufactured from 1966 to
         1973; pre-1966 vehicles already are excluded from the smog
         check.

                 "The bureaucrats oppose this commonsense measure not on
         the basis of policy but on the basis of the smog certificate fee
         revenues that would be lost to their programs!" stated Kopp, who
         is Chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee.

                 In addition to attracting national attention from many
         individuals and trade publications, SB 42's official supporters
         include the California State Automobile Associ-ation, numerous
         other car collector clubs and Jay Leno, host of the "Tonight
         Show."

<< Subj:         Calif sb42