Re: Originality and all that jazz

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Subject: Re: Originality and all that jazz
From: mike jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 08:22:38 -0700
Jack W Drews wrote:

> I run a TR4 - tractor engine and all. To the best of my knowledge, it is
> totally 1060's legal -- all stock internal parts, identifiable as such
> per the 60's rules, no roller rockers, etc.
>
> This limits me to 6000 rpm or the crank or rods go BANG!
>
> Competitors in my class with more sense run billet cranks and Carillo
> rods (absolutely illegal in the 1960's). Do I care? Heck no, especially
> on the occasions when I run faster than they do.
>
> Would I follow their lead in parts replacement? YOU BET! primarily
> because I don't think that fellow competitors or spectators really
> desire me to run an engine that is explosion -prone. They and I enjoy
> the racing and the spectacle.
>
> Will I get a performance advantage when I too install the better parts?
> SURE - because then I will be confident enough to run the 1000 rpm
> higher like my fellow competitors. Let's face it, this is what my
> Professor of Philosophy 101 called a historical dichotomy, I think. Kind
> of an unsolveable problem.

I too have a 6000 rpm engine, I love outrunning folks turning 7000+ and
listening to them complain about the number of failures and amount of
manintenance required to keep it up there.

I did however go to the Carillo rods a number of years ago due to the
number of stock rods butchered by our local machine shop during
reconditioning.  I decided to hold the rpm down both for authenticity
and engine life.  And hey, if you keep the tall 3.7 gears in it, you've
got vitually no use for that 7000 rpm anyway.

mike