Re: Steering Columns

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Columns
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:48:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 29 May 1997, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

> Someone asked about a collapsible arrangement for the TR4-6. If you
> look closely, you'll see that it already is. The piece that extends
> through the firewall is a two-part arrangment, with inner
> sliding over outer tube.

Chris and others, >
Yes, I have looked closely, but no I don't agree that this is a reasonable
safety standard.  The reasons are that firstly, this sliding column tube
arrangement is VERY prone to seizing up with corrosion over time, since it
is metal against metal, and allows no drainage if it becomes moist in
there.  Secondly, when the collapsible column is in its furthermost
position from the driver, there is minimal or no collapsibility remaining.
Unfortunately, the modern driving position with more extended arms and a
small wheel as opposed to the classical position with bent arms and a
larger wheel results in miminal collapsibility.  The rubber U joints at
the rack and midway up offer some pretzel logic, but it would seem there
might be a good way to introduce collapsibility that would give one more
confidence in safety here...
Best Regards
-KevinO