Monterey Update

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Monterey Update
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:45:25 PST
I just received an official letter from Steve Earle and HMSA regarding
Monterey 97 and 98.  The letter confirms Shelby in 97 and Porsche in 98.
The following excerpt is sure to excite some discussion:

" There has been a change in the featured marque at Monterey for 1997.
It will be Shelby American Cobra.  The enclosed press release will
explain the change.  I am very happy that Porsche agreed to do this.  It
will really make two great events, actually three but I'm not going to
talk about 1999 yet!"

It's the last part that intrigues one.  What does he mean by that?
What's the connection?  What is significant about 1999 other than the
name of a song written by a dwarf who fell into a vat of pubic hair?
;=)