Hoosier TD Vintage Tires

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Hoosier TD Vintage Tires
From: jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 22:53:54 -0400
The subject of Hoosier vintage tires has come up several times in the past.
I tried a set of 500X15s for my Alfa 1600 Veloce and am now ready to report.
Caveat: totally subjective evaluation!

Previously, I had run BFG Comp T/A R1s (185/70X15). I got about 3-400 miles
out of a set but they were fast.

I put the Hoosiers on before the Watkins Glen race last fall abd only got
about 50 miles of track time due to the practice screwups of others, fog,
etc.

We went ot the Jefferson 500 and did the Thursday practice day too. The
tires are awful feeling till they get warm, then they're wonderful. Drift
like champs - good turn-in, easily controllable. Lap times were slow for
everybody all weekend, but it looks like the tires might be equal to a
second slower (at about 1:37) than the T/As.  Put 300 miles on them with
little wear.

Mosport, no reference for times, but the car was very controllable, a
necessity at Mosport where every corner seems to be entered blind and/or off
camber at 100 mph! I was able to keep up with a Lotus 7 in the corners (!)
and nearly punted a 356 Porsche (we dubbed the "silver chicane") off turn 4
when I discovered how much slower he was. Another 200 miles.

Turn-in: better than the T/As
Cornering: more controllable, maybe marginally slower, but "feel" helps get
power in faster.
Wear: at least three times better! I have 600 miles on these and they seem
less than half used up.
Cost: about 1/3 based on purchase price and wear.

I like 'em!

Jim

jeh@fotec.com         http://www.std.com/fotec/jim.htm
veni, vedi, veloce