Re: to space or not to space

To: Mark McChesney <mmcchesn@ford.com>
Subject: Re: to space or not to space
From: "Brian Evans" <brian.evans@ns2.fiberlink.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:18:19 -0700
Mark McChesney wrote:

>   Is it a bad thing to use wheel spacers to achieve proper backspace/wheel
> offset??? -assuming the lugs are long enough. The application is for a '65 E
> type rdstr that wants to be a sometimes racer. Has bolt on hubs. Anyone know
> what the proper backspace should be for a 15x7 on an E type? I need a wheel
> that looks 'period', some guys are using XJ40 wheels that sort-of look like
> factory Lightweight E-type or D-type wheels. A five-spoke XJ-S wheel with the
> center painted dark to match the car might look OK - a set has been made
> avalable. Donovan Racing has Lightweight E type replica wheels, but at $480ish
> each are not in my budget. Strangely an American Racing wheel made for a Chevy
> S10 is very similar in appearance to a Ltwt.E wheel but has (I think) about 1"
> too much backspace, hence the spacer question.   THANX
>
>mmcchesn@ford.com

I had a similar problem with my Midget - no wheel had just the right
amount of offset to allow me to use the racing tires that are inevitably
larger than the ultra skinny OEM tires that the thing came with.  Phil
Lamont at Vintage Tires is also a Weller distributor (Weller Racing
wheels are often seen on Formula Fords, and are a very high quality steel
racing wheel) and we ordered wheels with custom offset to suit the car
exactly.  Records are kept so that the wheel can be duplicated if
something goes wrong.  Cost was a very reasonable $100 CDN each.  They
have gotten a lot of favorable comments for looks as well...

Cheers
--
Brian Evans
Major Account Manager