to space or not to space

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: to space or not to space
From: "Mark McChesney" <mmcchesn@ford.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:51:59 -0400
  Is it a bad thing to use wheel spacers to achieve proper backspace/wheel
offset??? -assuming the lugs are long enough. The application is for a '65 E
type rdstr that wants to be a sometimes racer. Has bolt on hubs. Anyone know
what the proper backspace should be for a 15x7 on an E type? I need a wheel
that looks 'period', some guys are using XJ40 wheels that sort-of look like
factory Lightweight E-type or D-type wheels. A five-spoke XJ-S wheel with the
center painted dark to match the car might look OK - a set has been made
avalable. Donovan Racing has Lightweight E type replica wheels, but at $480ish
each are not in my budget. Strangely an American Racing wheel made for a Chevy
S10 is very similar in appearance to a Ltwt.E wheel but has (I think) about 1"
too much backspace, hence the spacer question.   THANX

mmcchesn@ford.com