tvr

Re: Vixen rear deck wood?

To: Rikrock@aol.com
Subject: Re: Vixen rear deck wood?
From: Dr John Upham <webmaster@ukmotorsport.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 22:28:55 +0000
Rikrock@aol.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Time to replace the original plywood that fits over the gas tank on a 1971
> Vixen.  The original stuff was so rotted out I can't figure out what goes
> where.

  Aha! The famous "bit of wood" (BoW). Another terrible bit of
engineering.
  As far as I'm aware the original bit of wood sat on the tank with a
  layer of fuel absorbing sponge in between with a wooden spacer to
allow for
  the bolt thingy which attempts to hold down the spare wheel. The BoW
  is held forward of the tank by Another BoW (ABoW). The best solution
is
  to remove the whole shooting match incl the tank and replace with
  an ATL cerificated fuel cell for rear impact protection.

  I have made an enclosing box of aluminium laminate with no joins to
  the rear wall as I think it causes stress cracks if you do this. I'll
  send some photos soon.

  Regards,

  JU

--