triumphs
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TR] TR 3 gas cap

To: "Randy and Valerie DeRuiter" <deruiterville@hotmail.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR 3 gas cap
From: "Allan Stults" <acstults@hushmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2026 15:59:29 -0700
Authentication-results: autox.team.net;
Delivered-to: mharc@autox.team.net
Delivered-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
--===============0110106736657191538==
        boundary="=_b70e75273303a27ee1b724dfac8df249"

--=_b70e75273303a27ee1b724dfac8df249
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Randy,
Thank you!  I fully loosened the hose clamps and was able to twist the
cap.  It now rotates fairly easily, but I can't get any movement
upwards.  Is there a special tool that a body shop may have to lift
the cap out?
Allan
On 9/30/2026 at 2:34 PM, "Randy and Valerie DeRuiter"  wrote:  P {
margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; }    Allan- =20
   As long as you are sure you don't have the earlier threaded cap on
the car now my guess is your cap is still stuck to the interconnect
hose between the cap and tank.  Do you have the hose clamps loosened
fully?  I would try twisting the cap until you see movement  then try
to pull out.  There should be a rubber grommet installed which should
protect the paint. =20
   Randy =20
-------------------------
 From: Triumphs  on behalf of Allan Stults=20
 Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2026 1:46 PM
 To: triumphs@autox.team.net=20
 Subject: [TR] TR 3 gas cap     I've got a '62 TR 3B that I had
painted over last winter.  The chrome gas cap was looking pretty
pathetic next to the new paint.  I bought a new one from Moss, but am
not sure how to get the old one out without messing up the new paint.=20
The new one is  not threaded.  The old one is also not threaded.  Late
TR 3As thru TR 3Bs use one described as:   GAS CAP, w/integral=20
extension.  It slides in and out, but not easily.  I cannot make my
old one move.  Has anyone on the list had any experience with
replacing that cap?=20
  Allan Stults Veneta, Oregon '62 TR 3B  =20
--=_b70e75273303a27ee1b724dfac8df249
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<span style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; line-height: 150%;"><di=
v>Randy,</div><div><br></div><div>Thank you!&nbsp; I fully loosened the hos=
e clamps and was able to twist the cap.&nbsp; It now rotates fairly easily,=
 but I can't get any movement upwards.&nbsp; Is there a special tool that a=
 body shop may have to lift the cap out?</div><div><br></div><div>Allan</di=
v><br><div class=3D"hush-quoting-section">On 9/30/2026 at 2:34 PM, "Randy a=
nd Valerie DeRuiter" &lt;deruiterville@hotmail.com&gt; wrote:<blockquote cl=
ass=3D"hush-quote" style=3D"border-left:solid 1px #ccc;margin-left:10px;pad=
ding-left:10px;"><div style=3D"display:block">
<div style=3D"display:block">

<style type=3D"text/css">P {
margin-top:0;
margin-bottom:0;
}</style>
</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr" style=3D"display:block">
<div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans=
-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000;">
Allan-</div>
<div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans=
-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000;">
<br>
</div>
<div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans=
-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000;">
As long as you are sure you don't have the earlier threaded cap on the car =
now my guess is your cap is still stuck to the interconnect hose between th=
e cap and tank.&nbsp; Do you have the hose clamps loosened fully?&nbsp; I w=
ould try twisting the cap until you see movement
 then try to pull out.&nbsp; There should be a rubber grommet installed whi=
ch should protect the paint.</div>
<div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans=
-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000;">
<br>
</div>
<div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans=
-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000;">
Randy</div>
<div id=3D"appendonsend"></div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%;">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt;" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Triumphs &lt;triumph=
s-bounces@autox.team.net&gt; on behalf of Allan Stults &lt;acstults@hushmai=
l.com&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, September 30, 2026 1:46 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> triumphs@autox.team.net &lt;triumphs@autox.team.net&gt;<br>
<b>Subject:</b> [TR] TR 3 gas cap</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family:Arial;font-size:14px;line-height:150%;">
<div>I've got a '62 TR 3B that I had painted over last winter.&nbsp; The ch=
rome gas cap was looking pretty pathetic next to the new paint.&nbsp; I bou=
ght a new one from Moss, but am not sure how to get the old one out without=
 messing up the new paint.&nbsp; The new one is
 not threaded.&nbsp; The old one is also not threaded.&nbsp; Late TR 3As th=
ru TR 3Bs use one described as:&nbsp;&nbsp;<a rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"=
_blank" href=3D"https://mossmotors.com/834-840-gas-cap-w-integral-extension=
"> GAS CAP, w/integral
 extension</a>.&nbsp; It slides in and out, but not easily.&nbsp; I cannot =
make my old one move.&nbsp; Has anyone on the list had any experience with =
replacing that cap?</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Allan Stults</div>
<div>Veneta, Oregon</div>
<div>'62 TR 3B</div>
</span></div>
</div>
</div></blockquote></div></span>
--=_b70e75273303a27ee1b724dfac8df249--


--===============0110106736657191538==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive


--===============0110106736657191538==--


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>