Re: [TR] OD transmission

To: Rye Livingston <ryel@mac.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] OD transmission
From: David Porter <frogeye@porterscustom.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 12:28:09 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
--===============5604758342305311876==
 boundary="------------040308010602070405020505"

--------------040308010602070405020505

Several possibilities come to mind.. for some (very odd) reason upon a
load the voltage drops enough to allow the solenoid to drop out (check
your fan belt) or as others mentioned the clutch assembly is not fully
engaged (bent thrust carrier posts) and most likely, given your
description, is that the bearings in the uni direction clutch and the
face of the annulus,  where the bearings sit in their "ramps" are worn
and slip under heavy load. This I would think would make some sort of
noise. Also check that the brake ring is not cracked. And lastly or
firstly make sure that the operating lever is properly adjusted..
  TR's were not fitted with a throttle switch, which would be the first
thing to consider...as that is the same symptom based on throttle position..
DaveP

--
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--------------040308010602070405020505

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Several possibilities come to mind.. for some (very odd) reason upon
    a load the voltage drops enough to allow the solenoid to drop out
    (check your fan belt) or as others mentioned the clutch assembly is
    not fully engaged (bent thrust carrier posts) and most likely, given
    your description, is that the bearings in the uni direction clutch
    and the face of the annulus,  where the bearings sit in their
    "ramps" are worn and slip under heavy load. This I would think would
    make some sort of noise. Also check that the brake ring is not
    cracked. And lastly or firstly make sure that the operating lever is
    properly adjusted..<br>
     TR's were not fitted with a throttle switch, which would be the
    first thing to consider...as that is the same symptom based on
    throttle position..<br>
    DaveP<br>
      wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
        1960 TR3.  Everything is running well and the OD is pretty cool.
         I don't know what to expect or how it should work, but this
        doesn't seem right to me.  When I'm up to 60 mph or so and flip
        the switch, it shifts into OD no problem.  If I'm accelerating
        at the time, it won't shift until I let up on the gas so there
        isn't any load.  As I experimented with this, driving down HWY 1
        along the Pacific Coast Highway, there are short rolling hills
        and as I am going up the hill and flip the switch, it won't
        shift into OD until again I've crested the hill and have let up
        on the gas a bit.</div>
        I do find when driving along a 4 lane blvd with the speed about
        45 mph, 3rd gear with OD is pretty nice.  So while cruising
        along like that when I accelerate fairly aggressively, like an
        automatic transmission, without me touching the switch, it will
        drop out of OD by itself as I accelerate, and when the load is
        reduced as I let up on the gas, it will shift back into OD.</div>
        and he said that isn't right, and his first question was if the
        oil level OK so I checked.  I took out the side fill plug and
        can see the oil level and it just starts to ooze over the
        threads. So that's not the problem.</div>
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="http://www.porterbikes.com/";>www.porterbikes.com/</a>

--===============5604758342305311876==--