Re: [TR] Lead Wire Wheel Hammer

To: "'Triumph Mail List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Lead Wire Wheel Hammer
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 17:06:43 -0700
> I thought I remembered something about "lead fumes" so I
> looked around.  Here is a link that talks about that and
> melting lead.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/o3futqn

No doubt about it, there is some risk involved.  Kind of like driving a Triumph
<g>

For sure, you don't want to overheat the lead until it starts fuming, just
enough to melt it.  Also don't touch it (even though it
looks pretty) or spill it, etc.  If you plan to do a lot of it, then it's
probably better to go outside (eg outdoor grill).

>  Probably get more lead from some of the California
> wines that are in the news today! :-P

I thought that was arsenic, not lead.  Should be an interesting case, since
apparently California (and the US) has no standard for
arsenic in wine; and apparently the wine in question meets the EU standards for
arsenic in wine.
http://www.wineinstitute.org/resources/pressroom/03192015  (The lawsuit
apparently references the US/California standard for arsenic
in municipal drinking water.) Arsenic occurs naturally in many foods, including
grapes
http://www.webmd.com/diet/20111130/arsenic-in-apple-grape-juice .

And, as is so often the case, the lawsuit was initiated by someone with a
strong financial interest in mandatory testing of wine:
Kevin Hicks is the CEO of a new company that specializes in such testing ...

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive