[TR] 59 TR3A Update

To: "*Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] 59 TR3A Update
From: "Alex" <ambritts@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 18:46:36 -0500
Well got that new piston and rings installed. This is the car that had 65 lbs
in #3 piston. Turned out to be a broken piston race where the rings are. (in
addition to broken rings) Well got it installed and it fired right up.......#3
now has 125 lbs. I imagine once the rings seat that will come up to 135 like
the rest.

Now trying to get the car to run a little smoother. Still have carb issues
with running to rich and balance issues. Took a look at the point to discover
what appears to be an issue with the distributor. Read a few posts on another
forum where Randall was talking about springs and weights.

The shaft in my distributor will free turn (no resistance) about 30 degrees.
Took the points out and plate to see if the springs were broken. Everything
appears normal except for what appears to me to be excessive slop in the
movement of the shaft.

My question is...."is this amount of movement normal?

In my TR6, when I turn the rotor to turn the shaft, it springs back. No such
action in the TR3. It just free turns about 30 degrees and sits there....no
return movement at all.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Alex
59 TR3A