Re: [TR] PDWA

To: "'Triumphs'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] PDWA
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 08:27:42 -0700
> While doing some work in the engine bay I noticed there was some brake
> fluid sitting in the socket of the PDWA switch.  I'm assuming this
> means the switch itself is bad internally.

Not the switch itself, but the seals inside the PDWA.

> Can I
> just remove it and use couplings to tie the lines together?

Should work fine.  Just be sure you use brake couplings, nor ordinary
plumbing couplings.

> I'm fairly certain I would notice a drop in braking performance so
> taking the time and effort to try and install a warning circuit seems
> useless to me.

Both of my Stags came to me with the PDWA warning disabled.  Apparently in
both cases because there was a problem in the braking system.  But the
sellers apparently did not know of the issue (of course they might have been
lying but I don't think so), nor was it obvious to me as new owner that the
rear brakes were not working.  They do so little compared to the front
brakes anyway that it is really hard to notice an issue except under very
hard braking.

When I pulled the rear brakes from the wrecked TR3A, I also found that one
of them was not working, and I had not noticed.  I try to make a point of
checking the brakes occasionally (by finding a deserted area and locking all
4 wheels) but hadn't done so in several years.

Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47