Re: [TR] Tr 4 gas tank leak

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Tr 4 gas tank leak
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 14:53:34 -0700
> In  tightening the line to the tank something "gave" and now I
> have a leak  at tank.

Well, first thing of course is to get the gas out.  I keep one of the little
Facet electric pumps around as both a transfer pump (for transferring the
gas to another car when you need to empty a tank) and as an emergency spare
for the original mechanical pump.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/facetpumps.php
or they sometimes show up on eBay for as little as $20 (but be sure to get
the low pressure version if you're going to use it with SU/ZS/Weber carbs).

Then see what is stripped.  If it's just the relatively soft nut, it
shouldn't be too hard to replace.  My local full line auto parts store
carries them in steel (if it's the one I'm thinking of, I could be
mistaken).

If the tank fitting is stripped, I believe they are standard 1/2 NF SAE
threads, which means a Helicoil should do to repair it (probably still a
good idea to replace the nut).

Or, another option might be to re-tap the tank fitting for 1/4 NPT, then use
a readily available 1/4 NPT to 5/16" hose barb adapter plus a short length
of 5/16" id fuel line and clamps to join with the original hard line.  But
the Helicoil is a better solution, IMO.

I'm not positive, but I think the tank fitting also used the same slightly
oversize compression sleeve as the fuel pump.  Those sleeves are still NLA
AFAIK, but I've taken the liberty of putting Scott Suhring's fabrication
suggestion here:
http://tinyurl.com/37voevm

Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net