Re: [TR] TR3 trailer towing/design

To: "Nolan" <opposumking@verizon.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 trailer towing/design
From: "Skip Gurnee" <skip47@clearwire.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:57:55 -0700
Points well taken regarding tires, centroid, and axle/hitch distance; and
let's not forget center of gravity of a loaded trailer is likely higher than
a TRiumph, which increases likelihood of overturning unless the trailer is
wide enough which increases the likelihood of flagging.  Gotta be a happy
medium somewhere.
We're on this thread with regard to TR's towing trailers, and all these
issues would have to be more critical than when towing with a heavier
vehicle.  With regard to the cause of swaying in the first place, I don't
argue that the nose of the trailer pointing in different directions is an
effect, but the cause would have to be something else if you've been going
dead straight and steady.  Side winds, road crown, road surface, grabbing a
cat to keep it from jumping out the window, all would be, I think, more
logical causes.  Downhill isn't actually a cause, it magnifies the real
causes.  My moral(s) still apply; if you have a light tow car, the towed
weight must be concomitantly lighter, and the driver more acutely aware of
and prepared for processes that are masked by mass of the tow car.   BTW, my
Cherokee's rear axle is 48-in from the hitch, about the same as a TR4. The
wheelbase and vehicle weight are somewhat larger...:>)
Best,
Skip