[TR] TR3 trailer towing/design

To: "Triumph Digest List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3 trailer towing/design
From: "Dave Rogers" <roggez@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 08:21:45 +1000
    John Herrera made a good point about getting the tongue weight or trailer
load on the hitch/towball correct. Most authorities strongly suggest that the
load on the tow ball should be 10% of the total trailer load (+/- 1%). This
can be quite critical insofar as handling/steering is concerned.
    The other rule of thumb is that the rear of the car should only go down
about an inch when the trailer is affixed. If not, the trailer CofG needs
adjustment by some means.
    I would add that these points apply to towbars only. I have no experience
with 5th wheelers.
    I would also check the local DMV regulations to see if a trailer of 1000lb
weight needs some form of inertia/electric brakes, as the last thing you would
want is to rely on the vehicle brakes alone, with another ton to stop!

Dave Rogers
Canberra Australia

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net