[TR] Re: Smart European Laws - the Speeding fine

To: <pethier@comcast.net>
Subject: [TR] Re: Smart European Laws - the Speeding fine
From: "Odd Hedberg" <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:01:20 +0200
Hello Phil,
you wrote:
> European systems are interesting.  In some countries you pay
> fines proportional to your income.  Some guy in Scandinavia
> got a fine for speeding or the like in his Lambo(?) and it
> was many thousands of dollars.  Anybody have a pointer to
> this story to fill in the blanks of my Swiss-cheese memory?
> Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA

Well,
in essence you are right.

But, the incidence happened in a Nordic, not in a Scandinavian,
country - it happened in Finland.  It was Anssi Vanjoki, a
CEO of Nokia who were caught speeding in Helsinki Town [on his
Harley Davidson] - and with a multi million euro income the
speeding ticket was of course also plentiful: 116,000 euro
[~USD 156,000]...

Other Finns who have had to cough big time up were IT-tycoon
Jaakko Rytsola who paid 80,000 euros [~USD 108,000] a couple
of years ago.  Millionaire Anders Wiklof from Aland were caught
speeding twice in a short while and had to pay 50,000 euros [~USD
67,000].  Another Nokia top brass who ran a red light was fined
35,000 euros [~USD 47,000] ...

The idea behind the Finnish traffic fines are that they are to
hurt you as hard whoever you are, irrespective of your position
in life - or your wealth.  Ordinary people pay less in numbers
but just as hard in percentage of income/wealth...

[Scandinavia - Nordic countries?
 Sweden, Norway and Denmark makes up Scandinavia.  In the Nordic
 countries there are also Shetland, Finland and Iceland.]

Best regards
/Odd
--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary, TR8-rep.,

===     http://www.vtr.org