[TR] TR3 Clutch question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, KingsCreekTrees@aol.com
Subject: [TR] TR3 Clutch question
From: TRDOCTOR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 02:31:20 EDT
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:07:21 EDT
From:  KingsCreekTrees@aol.com
Subject:Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:07:21 EDT
From:  KingsCreekTrees@aol.com

Hi  all;

I have a very early TR3A, built Oct.'57. I was lapping Mosport  race  track
at
very low speed/low revs, when the clutch pedal suddenly  went very firm.
Testing shows it is slipping too, but is still  driveable (just). A good
friend
suggests this is likely to be the pin  that locates the throwout bearing fork
on
the cross shaft. I don't  disbelieve this at all, but I seem to remember
having  the same problem  many years ago, probably with a Mk.1 Spit, and it
turned
out to  be  something like internal master or slave seals, whereby the fluid
leaked  past  them (but remained in the cylinder---the fluid is full on my
car)
and made the  pedal very firm. Pressing the pedal therefore felt  horribly
firm
and had a bit  of an effect in that the clutch would do  its clutching thing,
but not to  acceptable standards. I must admit it  "feels" like it's a
hydraulic
problem on  the pedal, but I could be  wrong. Any ideas??? PS, slave cylinder
is not very  old, nor is the  clutch assembly. Thanks! Tim.

Tim Dyer,  Proprietor
Kings  Creek Trees
427 Kings Creek Road, RR3
Ashton, Ontario, K0A 1B0, Canada
Phone/fax: 613 253 4126 Website: _www.kingscreektrees.com_
(http://www.kingscreektrees.com/)

Proud  member of Landscape  Ontario (the Ontario association of Green
Industry
professionals) and the  Canadian Nursery Landscape   Association

------------------------------
I had the same problem a few years ago with our TR3A.  It ended up  being the
rod coming out of the clutch master not being adjusted  correctly.  From what
I recall there is something in the blue manual that  describes the correct
adjustment.  If not adjusted correctly, something in  the master cylinder (a
"bleed hole) will not be exposed.  Our pedal would  "pump up" and get extremely
hard.  One day when this was happening I  loosened the lock nut and effectively
made the rod shorter.  I could  actually hear the springs in the pressure
plate relax as the pressure was bled  off.  That fixed that problem but I then
had a bad throw out bearing.   Car has been apart ever since.  Sigh. . .

Sam and Carol Clark
Green Country Triumphs
TS45355L  O
CC82030U O