[TR] Late TR6 gearbox modification

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Late TR6 gearbox modification
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:12:06 -0700
The TRF TR6 catalog mentions a steel ball added to the mainshaft after 1973
(at the same time as the conversion to the steel tophat bushing), "ball,
steel, locating adjustment washer" (reference 20 on page 181, Volume 1).

Can someone describe the modification for me ?  Like how deep is the hole in
the mainshaft, and how far away from the splines ?  Do the adjusting washers
have a notch for the ball to sit in ?

Obviously, I don't have a late TR6 gearbox.  But I do have two Stag
gearboxes that have both apparently suffered from the adjustment washer
spinning against the splines; so I'm contemplating making this modification.

TIA
Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org