Re: [TR] British Invasion query and this weekend's outing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] British Invasion query and this weekend's outing
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:13:33 -0400
On 12 Jul 2006 (that was 11 months ago), Terry Smith wrote:

> Uhm, Jim, I hope that "other New England state" you usually
> vacation at is New Hampshire...  driving our toll roads
> enhances likelihood of achieving living nirvana

Well, Terry (and everyone else), I wanted to let you know that today
I took a vacation day from the office and we drove the GT6 up I93 to
camp at Lafayette Place in Franconia Notch.  We even paid the toll at
Hookset (twice, as you will see) so Nirvana is now within reach.  I
thought about you as we motored through the Lakes District, wondered
if we'd see a spiffy TR3 of unknown color.  But of course, it was not
to be.  In fact I would have been surprised to see your TR3 "sans
chapeau", for it was raining most of the time.  We got within 30
miles of The Notch and water started pouring from the sky.  After a
brief interlude at the campground (during which we set up our tent,
let it get wet, moved it to another campsite for reasons of red-tape,
then struck it and repacked the entire car in the rain) we motored
home (and en-route paid NH's relatively painless Nirvana entry fee
for the second time).

I must say that despite the relatively benign weather prediction we
were disappointed in the meteorological welcome.  We expected better
for our $0.75.  Anway, you bein' a NH state employee and all, I
thought I would put in a request for a drier reception the next time
we make that sort of trip.  Not only did it rain in The Notch, but it
rained most of the way back home too.

On the other hand, the car ran like a charm.  Packing it with much
but not all of our preferred camping gear was only moderately
challenging.  On the way home traffic on Rt128 around Boston crept
along at a creeping pace so we had some interesting exchanges with
other drivers.  Got several thumbs-ups, and a "What kind of car is
that?" from some boy about 10 or so.  But one woman in the passenger
seat of an SUV exclaimed into a cellphone loud enough for us to hear
"Oh my Gawd there's an old MG!"  Gack, we've been relegated to MG-Tx
(where x could be D, D, F, whatever) status.

We pulled up behind a Toyota Highlander (with 4WD badge, of course)
from NY state, wearing a bumper sticker that said "Stop the power
lines."  What's wrong with this picture???

Well, the camping didn't happen but it isn't every day we get to do
the London-Edinburg-and-back run.  It was a fun drive.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

--