Re: [TR] TR3A windscreen removal

To: DLylis@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A windscreen removal
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:09:50 EDT
In a message dated 6/22/2007 3:14:52 AM Central Daylight Time, DLylis@aol.com
writes:
> Well, when I first posted this I thought that my problem was the frozen
> ones.  Well, now I have one that goes around, and around, and around, and
> nothing
> happens.  It sounds like drill time to me.  Anybody know  the size of the
> machine screw under the head?

I don't know about your car but on my car most all of those caged nuts are
1/4 inch.

What you have is a caged nut rusted to the screw and it is spinning in the
cage.  I have on at least one occasion salvaged the situation but clamping a
pair of locking pliers (Vice Grips (R)) on the cage to hold the nut and managed
to unscrew the machine screw.  If you can manage to get a pair on the offending
cage you may save yourself more work downstream replacing the caged nut.  And
you may need to do that to effectively drill it anyway.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org