Re: [TR] TR6 Clutch Problem

To: ols@bcdef.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Clutch Problem
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:26:08 EDT
In a message dated 6/18/2007 9:35:15 PM Central Daylight Time, ols@bcdef.net
writes:
> Today was a beautiful day north of Boston, so I decided to drive my
> TR6. All was fine for a while, but after about 45 minutes, I realized
> it was getting VERY hard to shift. It feels as if the clutch is not
> fully disengaging even when fully depressed. The problem seems to
> have gotten progressively worse. Pumping the pedal doesn't seem to
> help.

Sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging (duh).  The easiest thing to
check is when hole in the throw-out fork shaft lever is used with the clutch
slave clevis.  The book calls for the middle hole.  Try using the hole closest
to the pivot.  That's the one I use for similar reasons.

Another possibility is the spring in the slave cylinder is not doing its job.
 The spring pushes the slave cylinder piston to take up any slop in the
clutch throw-out fork so that when you push in the pedal the throw-out bearing
will
engage the clutch without any wasted motion.  If this spring is broken there
will be play in the clutch slave linkage which should be tight.  If you grab
the clutch slave rod you should be able to push it back into the cylinder but
it will slowly extend to remove the slack.  If it does this it is working
properly.  If it doesn't, service the cylinder.

A third possibility is the master cylinder is not returning all the way.  Or
the little cup at the end of the piston is not being retracted when the pedal
is fully released.  If there is play in the pushrod (not associated with play
in the clevis) then the piston is sticking partway out and the cylinder should
be serviced.

Other possibilities are problems with the clutch fork taper pin with involves
removing the transmission so you want to check these things first.  Replacing
both cylinders is cheap compared to pulling the transmission.

Good luck

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org