Re: [TR] Clutch fluid in the car

To: thenicholls@verizon.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Clutch fluid in the car
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:07:11 EDT
In a message dated 6/18/2007 6:13:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
thenicholls@verizon.net writes:
> I have a 1972 Triumph TR6.  Noticed today that fluid is dripping inside the
> car from the slave cylinder.

A leak in the slave cylinder wouldn't reach the inside of the car.  I suspect
you meant it was leaking from the master cylinder.  Is it running down the
clutch pedal?

> Checked the fluid level in the master cylinder and it is low.
>
> What is the advice of the list on this?  When you replace a slave cylinder
> do you always replace the master as well?  No leakage is visable on the
>engine
> side, only coming from the rubber boot in front of the slave cylinder on the
> inside.

That is the master cylinder.  The piston cup is leaking.  The cup can be
replaced but if the bore is scored it will leak again and soon.  If the
cylinder
looks like it is original I would buy a new one if it we my car.

> I know I am in need of a clutch at some point, but with new carpet on the
> inside I need to take care of this first.
>
> How should I proceed?

Changing the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder are fairly easy
and straightforward.  Changing the clutch is much more involved.  Odds are you
can live with the clutch for a number of years.  The TR6 is notorious for
having a heavy clutch pedal.  This means a lot of stress is placed on the
hydraulic
system and it tends to wear out faster than the clutches do.  Especially if
the fluid gets a little dirty from disuse (rust particles).  If you want to do
the job once and get on with your life and if the price is not a barrier I
would replace the master cylinder (mounted on the fire wall), the slave
cylinder
(mounted on the engine adapter plate accessible underneath) and the clutch
hose.  At that point you will have a totally new system that will last at least
until you have to change the clutch.  Many years, at least.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org