[TR] TR4 - Sudden Oil Pressure Drop

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR4 - Sudden Oil Pressure Drop
From: lbc.resto@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 01:21:04 +0000
When I got the barn-find last year it was in a non-running condition. As I had
the sump off for a look-see I decided to change the con rod bearings on spec.
The crank journals seemed reasonable and I put standard size bearing shells
back in. I also dropped the center main bearing cap to look at that bearing; it
all looked reasonable. I also changed the thrust washers. I used lots of
assembly lube and babied the RPMs; I still haven't taken it above about 3500RPM
and I don't gun it or labor it.

>From the time I got it running last fall until yesterday afternoon it had
>70PSI pressure at 2000 and about 40PSI at idle. Took it out tonight and I
>noticed that it only reached 30PSI at 2500RPM and about 15PSI at idle.

Symptoms:
- I have done 2 oil changes after about 250 miles each and it gets dirty
quickly. I put that down to the block flushing through.

- A few days ago, I started to notice a bearing knock sound at startup, but it
quickly went away.

I would appreciate any ideas as to the suddenness of this?

===     http://www.vtr.org