[TR] Spifire/GT6 repair chronicles

To: triumph Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [TR] Spifire/GT6 repair chronicles
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:59:18 -0400
Today was a good day.  Pulled the interior out of the Spitfire.  As I
had suspected, the clutch pin is, like, gone, non-existent, vanished
completely.  Which explains why the clutch was so wonky.  The good
news is that it looks like I can install another without pulling the
gearbox out, something I really didn't want to do.

Looked at the GT6 front end.  The right wheel has been clunking a
little when I wobble the top of the wheel.  At the last inspection
the guy had trie dto tell me it was the ball joint.  But I've never
felt any play in the ball joint and it seemed to be the bearing.  So
I'd tightened it once already.  Took the whole thing apart today,
everything looks good, nothing broken.  Repacked it.  Now it feels
perfectly normal.  Hmmm.  Something to keep under observation.

Also noticed that the shims between the frame and the rear mounting
bracket of the lower A-arm were coming out!  Wow.  They had emerged
maybe an inch from their intended location.  Knocked them back into
place.  Then tightened the nut holding that bracket to the frame.
Something else to keep under observation.  I expect the GT6 to feel
tighter now.  It had begun to feel a little sloppy.

The Red Sox are winning 1-0 over the Giants.  The temperature is
upper 70's, nice sunny day.  Life is good.

Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

--
AM