[TR] Spitfire SU carbs fuel level

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [TR] Spitfire SU carbs fuel level
From: Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 18:27:50 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1980 Spitfire that I have put twin SUs on. They had some of the
wrong parts originally (fuel bowls, springs etc)  but I with the help of
Joe Cuerto they should be correct.

I can't get it to run quite right. I always have to adjust the rear carb
jet way down when compared to the front one.   I  pulled the dashpots
off and looked down at the jets.  On the front carb the fuel is  level -
or maybe just below with the top of the jet.  On the back one the fuel
level is a lot lower.  I swapped the floats and the needles around, but
the results were the same.  So, it seems to me I need to reduce the gap
of the rear float even though they both have the same clearance.

The float levels are the solid plastic ones so I can add washers to
increase the gap, but there isn't a way to reduce the gap.  I added a
second gasket to the rear float bowl which seems to help.  I hate to try
adding a third gasket.

What else should I try?

Maybe I have gone about this wrong and the problem is the rear carb -
When I lift the air piston of the front carb the engine speed stays
about the same maybe a small increase in rpm.  When I lift the rear one
the engine slows down and almost dies.

Thanks,

Roger Elliott

===     http://www.vtr.org