[TR] TR4 project

To: Triumph Email List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4 project
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 16:21:53 -0400
Hello,

Well I finally got to take the TR4 for a little ride this morning. First time
out of the garage in 1 piece since it arrived almost 2.5 years ago.

I took it around the block (.9 miles) and it ran pretty good. Still need to
bleed the clutch a bit more.

Dont know if it is me, but the shift throw seems to be a bit shorter than the
TR3. The '58 3A has a '57 gearbox with the short starter buldge for the
bullet starter and non syncro on 1st. A very original gearbox with only new
seals.

First thing I noticed was the view down the bonnet. Very straight. Also seem
to be a bit claustorphobic as compared to the 3. Must be those high doors
with the roll up windows!

Could also be the tonneau cover.

Another thing was the steering, a bit easier on the arms.

Still need to make some adjustments to the doors etc but it is ready for the
road.

I will be contacting my ins. company tomorrow and will hopfully get plates by
the end of the week.

I took a pic of the 3 and 4 together in the back yard side by side.

I have been wanting to do that ever since the 4 arrived.

Now all I need to do is get the 74 Bonneville and 98 T-Bird shined up so I can
take a real Triumph family photo for my computer desktop!

And I do believe this is it for me and restorations. 4 Triumphs is plenty!

I have done the 58 3, twice, the 74 Bonneville once and now the 63 TR4. The
T-Bird still looks like new and will not need a restoration if I keep it
garaged. So far it has held up well, more reliable than any car I have ever
owned.

I also did a 59 TR3A way back in 73 but that car is history. I let a former
"friend" take it for a spin and he totaled the car in a head on collision
while passing on a double yellow up a hill! But the rear axel lives and is
now part of the 58.

Time to take a break and get some quality mileage in!

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org