Re: [TR] GT6 Clutch and Flywheel

To: Moira Secrest <moira.secrest@verizon.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] GT6 Clutch and Flywheel
From: Charlie Schlismann <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:45:40 -0800 (PST)
--- Moira Secrest <moira.secrest@verizon.net> wrote:

> I'm finally putting my GT6 back together, new O/D
> transmission, new diff, you
> get the idea.  It will be great when it's back on
> the road.
>
> But I have to work in some stages.  Right now I'm at
> the point where I can
> install the new clutch onto the flywheel.  What I'm
> thinking is that I will
> want to coat the flywheel with something that won't
> soil the clutch disc, but
> keep rust off the flywheel until the time (about 2
> months from now) when I can
> start up the car.
>
> My best idea is simply to put a thin coat of primer
> on the flywheel.  (BTW,
> yes, the flywheel was resurfaced.

> Martin Secrest

Martin,

Are you thinking paint the flywheel then burning off
the paint with the clutch?  If so, I wouldn't use
primer as I was taught that primer can absorb
moisture.  I'd guess that the paint itself could glaze
or otherwise contaminate your clutch.

I'm certain others will have better ideas, but I think
the flywheel would be fine for two months under normal
circumstances, though I know freshly machined steel
likes rust!  Mebbe there is a contact cleaner or some
such out there that will provide a bit of corrosion
protection without the fear of serious friction
material contamination.

Personally, I'd lightly lube the flywheel and keep the
clutch off until the bitter end.  Then degrease and
assemble.  Not a big deal on a GT6 if you've the right
tools.

Good luck,
Charlie
various Triumphs and Formula 500's