Re: [TR] Questions about sill replacement on a TR3

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Questions about sill replacement on a TR3
From: "Doug" <dougm1000@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:11:40 -0800
Paul Dorsey wrote

> Nobody has mentioned the order of the 4 square mounting pads used at each
> of
> the FOUR OUTRIGGERS, so I think I'll 'sandwich' the INNER SILL by putting
> 2 sq
> pads above it and 2 below it before it all rests on the outrigger ITSELF.
> So,
> I'll have: Floorpan, 2 pads, sill, 2 more pads, and the outrigger on the
> bottom.  What da ya think?

I believe that you should use the pads between the inner sill mounts and the
outriggers only.  I do not believe that there should be any pads between the
floor pan and the inner sill mounts.  Note how the floor pan is indented
where the bolts mount to allow a flush fit to the inner sill mount.  So you
would have floor pan, sill, two pads then outrigger.

To adjust your door gaps you change the spacing between the sill mounts and
the outriggers which in turn lifts or lower that mounting point which
combined with front and rear spacers affect your door gaps.  Start with at
least two mounting pads because you will likely need to change the number of
pads at each of these four mount points a few times to get the gaps you
want.

Furthermore, in reference to an earlier email I sent you about the A-post
drop phenomenon when you remove the inner sill, and the reason to do one
panel only at a time, Roger Williams in his book "How to Restore Triumph
tr2, 3, & 3a", describes this A-post drop effect in the 5th paragraph on
page 72.  This does happen so catch it before you refit for final mounting.

Doug

1962 TR3B TSF 447

===     http://www.vtr.org