RE: [TR] Another magic gimmick?

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Another magic gimmick?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:27:49 -0800
> I see that in the Canadian Tire special this morning is a gadget called
> "CounterAct" www.counteractrust.com designed to stop car body rusting.
>
> Is this the same sort of idiocy as the metal fish you stick on the water
> tank to soften the water, or the amazing fuel-line magnets used to align
> the molecules of the gasoline so as to more efficiently atomise, etc,
> etc, or is there actually some science behind this?

The principle has been around at least as long as the "300 mpg carburetor"; it
actually does work under some circumstances.  Sometimes used on ocean-going
ships & whatnot.  But unless you have a Amphicar, I can't see it being of any
use on a car.  It only prevents electrolytic corrosion, when the body is
immersed in a conductive liquid to close the circuit.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org