[TR] Extending my driving season

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Extending my driving season
From: Brian Jones <banc8004@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 04:59:23 -0500
I intend to extend my driving season until salt is applied to PA's
roads, and start driving again as soon as the snow clears next year.
My much preferred setup is 'avec tonneau'. My TR4's heater core works
fine, I get a good draught from the front vent, and my blower works,
but I could be warmer.

I have added a temporary power supply (no damage done, removed in
minutes) directly from the battery to locate a power connector near
the driver's side of the radio. This connector allows me to power a
heated vest that I used to wear when motorcycling in the winter.
Heated vests connect to a vehicle's 12v supply, carrying current
along a cable looped in the clothing's liner to deliver warmth due to
the cable's resistance creating heat.

Though motorcyclists can choose to equip with heated pants, vest,
socks and gloves, the most beneficial item is the vest. Keep your
core warm, and blood continues to circulate to extremities and keeps
them warm. Let your core get chilled, and blood is withdrawn from the
limbs to protect your core and you begin to feel cold and
uncomfortable very quickly. You'll have noticed the change of colour
in your hands when they are cold.

Anyway, the point of my post was to perhaps introduce the idea of
heated clothing to this list. The current draw of a vest is
reasonably modest at 3 to 5 amps, and OK if you are motoring along.
Setups are simple: push connectors to plug in, and on/off switches
and even thermostats are available but optional. I just had a look on
ebay. Searching 'heated vest' had around 40 hits, some at a "buy-it-
now" price under $30.

Alternatively, some folks make their own favourite jacket liner into
a 'heated' item, using a special wire, available online. Here's one
guys recipe: http://www.shadowriders.org/faq/electricvests.html

If anyone is interested, but not sure what to get, I'll try to answer
any questions or help if I can. Notable makes include Widder, Gerbing
and Aerostitch, among others.

Cheers all, and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Brian
'63 TR4