Re: [TR] Webbing tension on TR4 hood sticks - cause of roof

To: banc8004@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Webbing tension on TR4 hood sticks - cause of roof
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:03:04 +0000
From: banc8004@comcast.net
> My PO replaced the webbing on the hoodsticks of the TR4 when he replaced the
> hood some years ago. I find that I get significant noise from the hood above
>30
> mph, and I suspect my webbing strips are too loose.
>
> With the levers raised to the 'taut' position for the roof, the front webbing
> strap - the one that attaches to the top-centre of the windscreen,

Huh?  I don't seem to have any such strap and I don't know what purpose it
would serve.

> and the two
> straps at the rear, seem slack to me.

I have only the two straps that go from the front stick (called a "top bow" in
the USA, I think) back to the rail on the car body at the rear of the cockpit.
I have found that if these are too loose, the top (hood) does not fit tightly
enough into the groove at the top of the windscreen frame and can pop out at
speed, allowing the wind to blow into the cockpit.  This also happened after a
slow traverse of some serious potholes out on The Sleeping Giant of Thunder
Bay.  Take a look at this picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier/294040052/

I believe you need to adjust the two straps which go to the back of the cockpit
until the hood keeps proper tension on the top of the windscreen.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,

===     http://www.vtr.org