RE: [TR] Overdrive leak.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Overdrive leak.
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:56:19 -0800
> As I recall, the shaft which rotates to operate the valve is
> very tricky to
> seal on the transmission side.I think I have a small spacer
> on top of the
> o-ring  to seal it.

Which is actually original equipment,  P/N 502567.  What some of the books
don't mention is that the solenoid lever and the 'setting' lever on the
other end of the shaft are supposed to be compressed against the O-rings
while the solenoid lever is clamped to the shaft.  That puts pressure on
both O-rings to help them seal.

> Can this plate be removed  in place to remake the joint or must I pull the

> gearboxout?

I don't believe there is room enough on a TR3A, don't know if the same thing
applies to TR4A or not.  The plate compresses the accumulator spring, so it
has to come out (and go back) straight from the side of the unit for some
distance.

Are you sure the leak is between the plate & the main body ?  Not at the
operating shaft as Mike suggests ?

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org