RE: [TR] Heater Fan Switch

To: "'Terry Smith'" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Heater Fan Switch
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 17:21:51 -0800
> If I install a simple on-off switch, what would it need to be
> rated, and
> should I patch in a resistor to limit the circuit somehow?

No need for a resistor.  5 amps @ 12v should be more than enough (obviously
either number can be much higher and it will still work fine).

In fact, the switch used for the wiper (and dash lights on earlier cars)
will work fine and look right at home.  Should be readily available used,
since they rarely fail.  ISTR it needs a flat washer behind the dash to fit
in the heater control hole, but not in front.

If you really wanted to get fancy, you could get the heater switch used in
later cars (TR6 et al) which is a 2-stage switch, and wire up a resistor to
it to get low and high fan speeds.  But given the rather anemic nature of
the TR3 heater, I don't see any point in that.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org