RE: [TR] TR3A Front Suspension Disassembly

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3A Front Suspension Disassembly
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:27:47 -0700
> If you use the "parts for Home Depot " use them once !!!! and with an extra
> nut on both ends of the shaft ---I looked at my rig after using it and
> noticed that the thread was really used up --the force of the spring on the
> nuts had distorted the threads on the rod .

Out of curiosity, Mike, what size threaded rod did you use ?  I used 3/4", and
although there is some wear after 4 uses, it looks good for at least another 4
uses to me.  I also oiled the threads generously with the same synthetic oil I
use in the crankcase; and used an impact wrench to turn the rod via double nuts
on the bottom.

My commercially-made regular spring compressor shows more wear after 6 uses (on
other cars), so my home-made one seems to be comparable as far as wear goes.  I
figure once more on the commercial one, and I'll throw it away.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org