RE: [TR] TR3A Front Suspension Disassembly

To: "David Willett and Carol Gray" <willgray@vaxxine.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3A Front Suspension Disassembly
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 19:16:00 -0700
>   I am considering actually withdrawing the studs and nuts together,
> but I can see that the studs are likely to foul the frame before they
> are free from the wishbone.. If I could get at them I would try
> cutting the studs, but there does seem  to be any room to do that.
>
>   Any suggestions?

My suggestion is still to buy or make a proper spring compressor.  Available
from TRF or Moss; I made mine from parts bought at Home Depot (and a big "flat
washer" from the parts bin).

> How far does the lower spring pan have to be
> lowered before the spring is decompressed?

As I recall, it was about 1.5" on my car, YMMV.  But it was far below where the
pan hits the frame rail.

With the spring compressed, the outer nuts removed and the innermost two
nuts/studs turned out some distance, I believe you can pivot the lower A-arm up
away from the spring pan, and get in there with a hacksaw blade (or maybe a
Sawzall if you have one) to cut one of the studs.  Then remove that A-arm, and
slide the spring, pan and other A-arm over the inner pivot pin.

But I sure wouldn't try that while using a jack as a spring compressor.  There's
a lot of energy stored in one of those springs, and I'd prefer to keep my
fingers ...

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org