[TR] TR3A Front Suspension Disassembly

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3A Front Suspension Disassembly
From: David Willett and Carol Gray <willgray@vaxxine.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 14:21:15 -0400
For reasons I don't want to explain right now, I find it necessary to
disassemble  both the right and left front suspensions on my TR3A.

  Using the Haynes manual as a guide, I have so far successfully
removed the right shock absorber, installed the recommended  6"
threaded guides in the lower wishbone and securely supported the
lower spring pan using a hydraulic jack. I am now attempting to
remove the castellated nuts which attach the spring pan to the lower
wishbone. I can do this with the nuts at the outer end of the
wishbone (I have just loosened them so far) but I find the nuts at
the inboard end of the wishbone are severely corroded to the extent
that I can obtain no purchase on the split pins. I have applied good
old PB Blaster, but the result has been that the studs now turn in
the wishbone, instead of the nuts on the studs!
  I am considering actually withdrawing the studs and nuts together,
but I can see that the studs are likely to foul the frame before they
are free from the wishbone.. If I could get at them I would try
cutting the studs, but there does seem  to be any room to do that.

  Any suggestions? How far does the lower spring pan have to be
lowered before the spring is decompressed?

Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.

  Dave.

===     http://www.vtr.org