RE: tappets out of order

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: RE: tappets out of order
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 00:21:53 -0500
Paul,
I was taught that anything that rotated together should be reassembled in
the same sequence. Doesn't matter if it's pistons, valves, or tappets. The
only exception is if all the parts are new. I couldn't specifically say what
will happen if you do mix up things. In the case of the tappets, you may
have to treat the cam as new and follow the 2500 RPM breakin procedure at
the very least.  Worse case, you may lose a lobe on the cam. Might be that
excuse you need to pick up a racing cam and new lifters. Actually, you might
just pick up a new set of lifters and that may solve the potential problem.
In any case, I would carefully run in the engine and watch the valve
clearances like a hawk for any sudden increase in gap which would signal a
lobe/tappet failure.
Dave Connitt

===     http://www.vtr.org