TR6 high rpm performance

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 high rpm performance
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:20:26 -0600
I converted my 1971 TR6 to SU carbs. The car ran wonderfully for six
months and then began to falter. It finally got to the point that
instead of a high speed miss, it would buck and jump and was
undriveable over 40 mph. After working on it for a whole week doing
everything that has ever been mentioned on the list plus a few more,
a friend in the Brit car repair business said "Replace the
carburetors! They wear out! I have to do it all the time."

I looked at them again, saw nothing wrong. BUT, to test his advice I
took the carbs off of my race ca and, put them on the TR6. The
problems vanished. Now all I need to do is come up with $650 to send
to Moss to permanently solve the problem.

Why am I boring all of you with this? Well, it's because i learned
something else that may be of interest to some of you.

With the Strombergs, when I ran it through the gears, it would start
falling flat at about 4000 rpm. I just figured that's the way they
were with that awful excuse for an intake manifold. When I put on the
SU's, it pulled just great right up to the red line. And, using the
carbs jetted for racing, it pulls even better, but I imagine that my
gas mileage has gone to pot (as has my idle) -- as if I really cared.
I learned this on my racing TR4 also -- these cars really like lots
of fuel at high rpm. Changing needles in Strombergs would bring about
the same improvement.

uncle jack

===     http://www.vtr.org